Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contemplating a full left hip replacement

Shoe String Racing and M Worth, Thanks for your inputs. I have decided that if my non-invasive Orthopod agrees with my decision, I am going to move forward to a consultation with a surgeon and get this funky "football shaped" femur head replaced with something that is round and glides in a new cup<grin>. I hate the thought of major surgery but I dislike decreased ability much more.

Best of luck!

While I haven't had my hip replaced, I have broken both hips, independently, 18 months apart. I finished my first Ironman race(2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bicycle ride, 26.2 mile run) 6 months after breaking the first & my second, 4 months after breaking the other. Nobody has ever accused me of being smart. My advice to you is; let pain be your guide during your recovery. If it hurts while doing your PT, stop. But, having said that, don't hold back on your PT, do what your therapist tells you and make sure you get full range of motion back when you're done. That is the goal. Meet that & you will be able to lead a full life with your new hip.
    Please let all of those that relied know how it goes. Kurt

Advice received from those who have been there both happy and unhappy is--- 1 follow the directions of your therapist. 2. (see #1) 3 (see #1) exercise is the best pain relief long term.

Quote Originally Posted by speedwagon View Post
    ... exercise is the best pain relief long term.
    And going for a nice blat :-)

I am going for blats now before surgery and am going to do one more autox before surgery. It looks like I will be out of the game for 5-6 weeks. I will give everybody a heads up after I get the surgery in September. My surgeon's schedule is pretty full but should be done with rehab by the end of October. I finally have my Storker really dialed in just when I am going to be taken off the track for a couple of months but I am going to run like hell on this next event to have smiles on those days when I am feeling a bit sorry for myself.
    Last edited by Astro Bob; 08-12-2017 at 07:19 PM.

I am 5.5 weeks post surgery for a complete left hip replacement. I have been diligently working both with my initial home health Physical Therapist (PT) and my current outpatient PT who I have been seeing for 4 outpatient visits. Because I was pre-morbidly in pretty good shape and had done my pre-surgical exercise regimen, it was determined that I could safely get in an out of my 2012 Brunton Stalker without risk of injury. Earlier in the week, the clutch seemed a bit heavy to depress but later in this week with continued rehab, healing and diligent exercise, I was able to get in the Stalker and drive to my PT appointment this morning with no difficulties whatsoever. I even left the PT session with two new sets of G-Force 5-point harnesses and had my local indy shop replace my 5-year old belts. I cannot tell you how happy I was that in doing my pre-surgical research that I elected to use a surgeon who specializes in the Anterior Approach which allowed me significantly more comfort and less limitations post surgically. I don't plan to even consider autox for another couple of months but after almost 6 weeks, just being able to get back in the cockpit and feel the wind in my face was PRICELESS!

I should mention that I was able to safely mount and dismount my Harley Tri Glide Ultra one week ago and have gone on several rides with that machine so accumulating more wind in the face
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r888r at coast.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	13420  

Last edited by Astro Bob; 10-27-2017 at 07:42 PM.

My wife had a full right hip replacement. She doesn't drive my Caterham very often, but it hasn't impeded her use of it as a passenger. We took a 3-day weekend trip in it recently and she had no issues with it at all. That was four months after surgery. She's very glad that she had the operation done.
    2013 Caterham R300, 2006 Acura RL, 2014 Honda Odyssey

Bob - Thats great news to hear! Here is to your complete recovery!
    Mike