Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Caterham SV with Turbocharged Miata Engine For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by scannon View Post
    Hopefully he will show up on this forum, that's where he spotted the ad.
    He is not really a forum type of guy but he stated he wants to bring his 'new' seven to the Sevens HPDE event July 1/2, assuming Gary from Straight Roads can get it here in time.
    Mike

I still remember Skip's initial posts elsewhere regarding his "heretical" idea of installing a Miata drivetrain in a Caterham. Given the required surgery to fit the gearbox within the tight confines of the frame, some people (mostly respectfully as I recall) thought he was...well, nuts. However, the output from that marriage showed Skip's internal wiring harness was not hemorrhaging Lucas smoke, and resulted in a very unique and desirable car. Sad to see it go, but hope Skip does continue to stick around.

-John
    Westfield SEiW
    2.0L Duratec
    Throttle Steer

"Too soon old.....too late smart." So goes the German proverb. I fell in love with sevens years ago as a spotty faced teenager living in Dublin, Ireland, after reading an article in an English magazine called Custom Car. I saw my first one in the flesh a few years later and realized there was no way I was going to fit. I visited the factory and showrooms 20 years ago and lusted after the Jonathan Palmer edition. A number of cars and forty years later I finally managed to get my first Caterham. I bought a project off Mazda with the intention of modifying it to fit but with work, life and family commitments I realized that I needed to pull the trigger on a fat bastard Caterham or another driving season would leave me behind. There comes a time in ones life when one realizes time itself is ones most precious possession and I wanted to experience a seven before I "shuffle off this mortal coil".
    Skips car came up and it speaks for itself. The comments from forum members convinced me it was a good buy. SV's go not come up everyday and while buying or selling one of these cars can be difficult, I think in this instance the planets were aligned. I now have to get her home. As the new custodian I hope to have many years of fun with her.
    Skip is getting her tuned at Flyin Miata next Wednesday and I missed my time window with Gary Straight to get her shipped here. I am calling a number of outfits and found one called Montway Auto Transport that can take her here. I have no knowledge of them. Has anyone used them, or have a recommendation for a shipper? I am away for most of June and would like to get her here before I leave.
    My other concern is registering it in Maryland. Mike Dougherty has been very helpful in this matter as he registered his Caterham 15 years ago. Does anyone have more recent experience?
    I am hoping to make it to New Jersey, with a car this year. Last year was fun to spectate but I felt like a eunoch in a whorehouse. Bear in mind guys this will be my maiden voyage so please take it easy on me!!
    Finally a big thanks to Skip who has been a pleasure to deal with. He is being very helpful in aiding the transfer. Also thanks to Croc and Mike Dougherty for their advice and I look forward to seeing everyone in New Jersey in July.
    Thanks,

Dermot.

Dermot,
    Had I known getting the Caterham was going to be instrumental in getting your manhood back at the track I would have raised the price.

Dermot: Epic post! So nice to see Skip's se7en went to such an appreciative owner! Transportation seems to be a function of time. If you REALLY want it there in a week , it willl be. But you will pay. The more time, the more likely you are to catch a ride going your way and needing 1 more car for a full load. Sure hope you make it to NJMP, I'd love to see that car in the "flesh."
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car

Congrats Dermot, Hopefully it will make it to you in time for the 7s gathering at NJMP. It should be a blast to drive. Welcome to the Fat Bastard club. Tom
    2000 Caterham Superlight #123
    1.8L VHPD Rover K Series
    2009 Caterham SV
    2.3L Cosworth Duratec

Have the car shipped to NJMP. Ask Croc if there's a temporary spare bed in the Garage Mahal for a new Cat.
    xcarguy

Rise of the 'Super Chicken'...a Somewhat 'Suave' Story
    http://www471.pair.com/stalkerv/gall...g2_itemId=5938

Live life with passion; history has proven theres no getting out of it alive.

Dermot- glad you got a car! Did you get my PM about registering the car??

Jim

Jim,
    Sorry I did not reply, but yes, I got your PM. Thank you. I am going to visit Glen Burnie next week with my package of paperwork and hopefully get her sorted......stay tuned.

Dermot
    Have you spoken with Tbox? I don't know if he has a two horse trailer to bring a second one from CO?

Contratulations!!!