Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Santa Came early - R400 Roller Barrel Conversion!

Alright! I finally received the ECU back from the UK, completed a few checks, and finally took her for a spin today. OMG.. felt strong, perhaps more torque than previously but probably the biggest difference is the sound! unreal.. roller barrels with cat bypass changed the RPM tune completely. Pretty decent and "civil" at 3000 RPM but past 5000 RPM, it is a screamer. Plus lots of backfire when I let go of the pedal rapidly. My only concern right now is if i'll be allowed at LimeRock ( able to meet the decibels rules?). I have the r500 carbon fiber airbox which helps... but i guess we will see.
    Next will be to dyno the car to see what this upgrade really did. Will keep you posted.

I think intake/exhaust sound is at least as important as hp! My old X-flow had a much better sound than the current Zetec does and was much more satisfying to run up and down the gears. It was also had your engine's off-throttle back fire. It sounded ferocious (but its bark was worse then its bite). I will also be interested in the dyno results. Do you have pre-mod #'s?
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car

What a great day on the east coast. Could not resist to take the car out for a spin. Overall, i like the new engine setup, but it feels like it lost a bit of low end torque (under 3000 rpm) or not as responsive off the line .. but then it corrects the the car feels solid and stringer especially above 4500 rpm. I still plan to dyno the car soon, but has anyone experienced a change in torque (lower?) under 3000 rpm when changing to roller barrels, especially when opening the rollers suddenly? just curious..
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SK400 View Post
    What a great day on the east coast. Could not resist to take the car out for a spin. Overall, i like the new engine setup, but it feels like it lost a bit of low end torque (under 3000 rpm) or not as responsive off the line .. but then it corrects the the car feels solid and stringer especially above 4500 rpm. I still plan to dyno the car soon, but has anyone experienced a change in torque (lower?) under 3000 rpm when changing to roller barrels, especially when opening the rollers suddenly? just curious..
    thanks!
    Hi Seb, for some reason I'm only just catching up on this thread. Conversion looks great, nice job. Funny when Caterham flashed my ecu from R300 to R400 spec, when I built the car, they made the same mistake on the 4:1 rpm read out. Obviously slow learners. Can't wait to see you on track this year and relieved I now have an excuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon, good to hear from you. Let's see if this upgrade really helps with lap times.. I suspect that it will still be really difficult to follow you and keep up with your pace!!
    On a separate note, I have a dyno test and tune appointment on May 6. I unfortunately don't have the pre-readings but still curious to see what the engine puts out with the roller barrels. I'll test with and without the R500 carbon airbox.

seb - who are you using for tuning?

P1 Motorsports in Stamford, CT. A good shop. Candidly, I wont be tuning much on the dyno simply because my ECU is locked by Caterham. But they also have great alignment equipment, scales etc and last time I went in for suspension and alignment tuning, the owner did all the work himself on my car.

Slight correction - P1 Motorcars

Can't Caterham tune long distance on the dyno? I thought that's what Tom (YellowSS) did?
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car

Mike, you are almost correct. It wasn't Caterham who did the remote tuning, it was SBD an engine turner in the UK. My ECU is the MBE unit like Seb's but mine is not locked so it can be accessed and the map can be modified without having to send it back to Caterham. Tom
    2000 Caterham Superlight #123
    1.8L VHPD Rover K Series
    2009 Caterham SV
    2.3L Cosworth Duratec