Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Birkin ss3xs - New Build

Quote Originally Posted by papak View Post
    Beautiful job. I'm building one in LA. How did you get the hood to fit so well?
    That photo is before I even did any manipulation. I took a picture of all of the gaps I wanted to adjust with painters tape applied as reference, pulled the bonnet off, and gently (I mean gently) manipulated the curves while referencing the photos.

Thanks. I have the hood in the garage attic right now while I complete all of the detail work in the engine compartment. From what I can see, I might have a bit more to "finess" at the corners than you.

Hey Kink, are you still on here?
    I am building an SS3XS also, and have a few questions. First, is that the standard roll bar or the taller one? Are those Advanti wheels? If so, what size are the rears? What would you change? What do you dislike? What do you like the most?
    I am super excited to finally get started building a Birkin after talking about it for a decade. My car will be used primarily as a track car, but I will take it to the occasional car show.

edit: just found your for sale post
    Last edited by COTACAB; 07-31-2020 at 11:28 PM.

I finished mine in 2017. The 2.3 Duratec has proven to be one of the driest motors I have ever built. I finally got the transmission sealed as well. Unfortunately, it took several tries to get the O2 Sensor controller to function correctly. Innovate was quite helpful but things were complicated by their acquisition by Autometer and the subsequent relocation to Chicago ( from Costa Mesa, CA). Just finished an all aluminum boot and cover.

Did ever get the shuttering figured out?

Not yet but looking into a few things (more like eliminating culprits). This may be delayed a bit as I am trying to get the garage re-roofed over the next few weeks.

Brad
    Now that you have had some time in the seats, what are youtg thoughts? What are they? Where sources?
    Lawrence

Those look like Tillett’s: I replaced my sport seat with a Tillett B6 with edges trimmed (not the “Caterham cut”) this year. The seat is a tight fit in the car but I find it quite comfortable and it significantly lowers my body/head in the car. So far my only critique is discomfort driving with a helmet as I my head is pushed forward slightly: straining my neck. Hopefully this can be fixed by switching helmets. Until then I’m using extra padding behind my torso.