Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire choice

Default Tire choice

I know toyo r888 and the RA-1 are popular tire choices. Does anyone have any experience with the RE-71R? Current tire size is 205/50/15. Car is used for road use only, Brunton super stalker. Love the car, not a fan of my original tire choice of falken Azenia.

Thanks for any experience you can share.

GBOLT,

Another good tire choice (at least, I've had positive experiences with them) is theToyo R1R. Great all around tire in the dry…and the wet. Ran these as a rain tire on my Stalker at NJMP a couple of years ago (rained the first day of the event). If interested, this is how they performed on that very day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3OKUgpSieA

Last edited by xcarguy; 03-02-2016 at 08:37 AM.
    Stalker V8, chassis #85

Stalker Chassis #85 Build Gallery
    Stalker Chassis #85 Owner Thread

Get up in the morning and give the day your very best. You donít get it back.

I'm new to RA-1 tires in 205/60r13 and even at 30-40 degree weather gravel flies everywhere. I can't imagine how sticky they will be in 60-70 degree weather. I was looking into getting the Toyo R1R but couldn't pass on 13x6 Panasports that Bruce had on sale. The softer sidewalls make for a more comfortable ride, but I did lose 1/2 inch of ground clearance going from a 205/45r16.
    04 Subaru WRX
    04 Caterham SV w SVT zetec
    Purchased 4/19/2011 @ 10,200 mi
    09/01/2015 24,067.7 mi and climbing

I forgot to ask one additional question. Other than TireRack, any other sellers to look at?

RE71R's are very good tires on my S2000 for autocross, but they hydroplane easily so I would say not acceptable for wet weather tracking.

I have had good luck with the Nito NT01's as a good all around tire. Use them as my street tires but they were also very predictable with good response on track days before I went with track only rubber.
    Jim Rankin
    WCM S2K
    '04 MINI Cooper S
    '07 BMW3 Sportwagon
    '67 Camaro SS-RS
    '58 Jaguar XK150
    Silverado & trailer to haul it all.

Continental Acquires Hoosier Racing Tire Corporation

October 4, 2016
    The international technology company Continental today announced the acquisition of Lakeville, IN-based Hoosier Racing Tire Corp., a manufacturer of specialty tires for racing applications.

Anyone know moe on this development?
    Michael D.

2000 Caterham DeDion
    Bethesda, MD

Michael,
    Hoosier was a family run business and I understand it was sold when the younger members of the family didn't want to take it over. According to the scuttlebutt on some SCCA related boards, shouldn't be too much of a change but no one knows for sure.
    They certainly make great race tires and have always had great trackside support. Would suck to have them go all 'corporate'.

Jim

I figured that but the new website layout makes it very difficult to find all of our tire options.
    Last edited by MichaelD; 10-08-2016 at 12:58 PM.
    Michael D.

2000 Caterham DeDion
    Bethesda, MD

Aligned with the UK thread, there are a number of other tires discussed on Blatchat available for shipping from there. It was always a reasonable option, now even better.
    1985 Caterham Super Seven