Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Importing a 7 from the UK

Hey, Ferrino! You have been absent for a while. Funny, I just mentioned you in a post a few days back here.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Hey, Ferrino! You have been absent for a while. Funny, I just mentioned you in a post a few days back here.
    Hi Sean! Funny, I am actually still in occasional touch with the current owner of the "Yamaham" and he wrote an article on it in Low Flying, which was great to see. It has been to Spain and back several times and he appears to be in love with it. It's funny to think that, as of last year, the car would've been eligible to bring into the US under the 25-year rule (assuming motorcycle engines are ok?). I remember moving to the US in 2007 and thinking how far in the future that seemed! I still periodically scan the UK for interesting 7s for a bit of fun and thought I'd stop by to see how much folks are paying - just in case a great deal comes along... There was a 190 BHP Fireblade engined 7 that went for 10K GBP recently - insane value.

Does anyone know how this story unfolded? It would add to our experience base.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Westfield SEiW
    Done building, now grinning

Trykeman had a win - car was over 25 years old and he states in a post in this thread he was picking his car up which he would not have done had they not cleared him.

The digression into the other guy mid-thread is an unknown.
    Mike

Would you consider a WhartonRoadster? Our car is 6 inches wider that the Lotus 7. It is also 6 inches longer. It is a Lotus inspired sports car and handles beautifully.

Check out our website - http//www.whartonroadtser.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue Lotus 7.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	10106  

Thats a new seven replica brand I had not heard of before.

Rather than hijack someones thread, it would be better for you to publicize your new car with a separate post, details, photos, etc and full contact details as I am sure I am not the only one who has not heard of the Wharton Roadster before. That would give it more prominent viewing than tacked on the end of this thread.
    Mike

A friend shipped is historic Lotus race car to Goodwood for the festival this year. When it was shipped back, Customs would not let it back in. This even though he owned the car and had records of shipping it out of the US. I think he eventually got it back.
    Michael D.

2000 Caterham DeDion
    Bethesda, MD

I have a question regarding customs on the US side. Is there a particular class/type of customs broker I need to import a Seven on the 25-year rule? For example, some of these brokers appear to be geared towards high-end, extremely valuable imports. If I find a car that is as original as possible and appears to pose no significant issues on the 25-year rule (original engine etc.) can I just go with a standard broker? Also, how much would you typically expect to pay for customs, if everything goes smoothly? Are we talking $500-$1,000. Thanks.

I just responded to your PM but the answer is yes a standard broker would likely have vehicle import experience with regular vehicles. No reason why you need a high end valuable historic vehicle import guy. All my invoices are buried in boxes thanks to a home renovation so cannot check the numerous various fees to give you an estimate but you really need to get the estimate from the broker you plan to use in the port you are shipping to. Dont forget there is an import tax on that value of the car too.
    Mike