Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Sky 2015 Tour - Going to Montana/Idaho

Default Big Sky 2015 Tour - Going to Montana/Idaho

Well, not really an organized tour but what we are planning for this year. And if somebody wants to joint for part or all of this trip or just meet at some point please let me know (similar to the Rocky Mountains 2009 or Black Hills 2011 tour). We still need to pick the hotels but to give a general idea here are the tentative dates and places.

----->>>>Original route table deleted, see updated version in post #10
    Last edited by slomove; 02-07-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Time to scoop the mothballs out of the old hippy rig...

I've added it to my calendar, we'll see how the summer schedule shakes out.

Gert and Rosie know how to put together a great Sevens tour.

Checking our Calender for June. Would be great to see you guys again.

Would be great to see all you guys from the Black Hills Tour again! Sorry that the Polar Bear Blat did not work out but it was anyway too long for us.

Us to. To many other things going on. My car is in the shop, re doing the suspension, along with a few other things. Looking forward to this blatting season!

This looks interesting. It'd be nice to see the "Black Hills Gang" again, too. I might be able to make it...put me down as 'tentative.'

Randall

Gert,

Might I suggest driving a bit further on the 29th, so that the 30th isn't a grueling, un-enjoyable day. For example, we could continue past Cour d'Alene to Moscow or Lewiston. That would shift a hour and a half of driving from a really long day to one of the shortest.

Likewise, on the 1st, we could continue to Whitehall or Three Forks, which would shift about an hour from the 282 mile day to the shorter 127 mile day.

Poking at your itinerary some more, how about stopping in Red Lodge on the first day to shorten that day a bit--first day is always a delayed start, and who knows what the traffic hold ups will be in and around the park. The following day seems to be pretty flat and featureless terrain, so wouldn't be affected much by some added miles.
    Last edited by rzempel; 02-07-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks, some good ideas. This was anyway only a first draft.

In the meantime found some changes necessary. The place where we stored the trailer last time in Jackson is not available, so we will rather start in Idaho Falls, where there is the usual RV/boat storage for little money.
    It also means to move the tour forward one day, so that we arrive on a Monday because most storage places have their office closed Sundays.

I already considered Red Lodge to shorten the first tour day. Got to look over the rest. I also inserted a rest day in Coer d'Alene but might move that to Lewiston indeed. Otherwise we prefer not to stay in some backwater village because the bigger town usually have more to see and eat in the afternoon/evening.

I will post an update once I have more information.

Something to be aware of...on the 28th, going to Balfour requires a ferry ride across Kootenay Lake. The ferry service says, "The angle of the ferry ramp with the shore ramp may cause difficulties for low clearance vehicles and over-length vehicles such as fifth wheels and motor-homes or long trailers."

I've looked for images, but only found one, so far. In that one, it appears that we won't have any issues on at least one end of the ferry ride. But, there must be a reason for the warning.